   FW: XML database

  • From: Eckenberger Axel <Extern.Eckenberger@kmweg.de>
  • To: "'xml-dev@lists.xml.org'" <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 13:00:07 +0200

I cnannot agree with this "religious" issue you are referring
to, as for me a technology is a tool to solve a specific
problem. The characteristics of the problem and the
advantages/disadvantages of a specific technology will define
there usability for the solution. Obviously this is not a
clearcut process and in the case of several technologies
being equally qualified, I agree with you that the coice is
down to preference.

IMHO there is no case to choose between RDBMS and XML as both
have distinct properties (for storing data that is) and these
properties, except in borderline cases, literally force you
to use one technology or the other.

But XML (and the related standards) has a much broader
application profile that just holding data. XML, because of
it's flexibility, can act as a bridge between technologies
that are otherwise difficult to integrate (different DB
structures, COM --> SOAP --> CORBA, OO --> legacy apps, and
countless others) and therefore IMHO it can be the glue that
integrates existing application + data islands and create an
abstract 'knowledge base' that holds the complete knowledge
of mankind (now we talking about a 'religious' vision :-).

Just my 5 Pfennig worth

Axel

--
Axel Eckenberger, BSc