   Terminology Shift: Ban Semantic Web

  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 08:36:19 -0500

I am remembering an email from someone
who said they wished they would never
see the "S" word in another XML discussion.

Semantic always gets us wrapped around the
axle of philosphical interpretation of meaning.
It is impossible to test except that at the
end of the discussion, parties state that they
think they agree.  Sort of signatory binding...

I agree with the person who sent the message
that the term semantic probably ought to be
banned by mutual exhaustion.

What if instead of "semantic web" which
sounds more like magic than computer science,
vision over substance, polemic over logic,
we used the terms "services-based web" so
we can get it out of the world of declarative
contracting and into the world of predictable,
reliable transactions.

It might not sell to Joe Q waiting for the
next 'nicks game, but at least the developers
would have a clearer goal to meet.

Len Bullard
Intergraph Public Safety
clbullar@ingr.com