   RE: Terminology Shift: Ban Semantic Web

  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • To: "COLLINS,Richard" <Richard_Collins@nsb.co.uk>, xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 09:45:32 -0500

Your customer or user.  The biggest mistake in
schema or DTD design is to try to standardize.

Sounds weird in this forum?  Let me explain.
Note:  "you" is general, not specific to Richard herein.

The network effect happens by consensus.  There
is no way to force enterprises to consent until
they want to.  It's like begging a girl to love
you; force is of no possible value.

Simple.  When you design a schema,
do not try to solve the problems of every conceivable
user of the vocabulary:  focus on the one who
asked you to do it.  Scope it to their precise
requirements as best as you and they can define
them.  Spend a lot more time on defining
these before you write a line of XML.

If your customer includes a group organizing
a value chain, scope accordingly.  They have
already agreed to cooperate so your job is to
facilitate that.  You don't want to be an
evangelist; you want to be the facilitator.

That said, if there are preexisting DTDs and
schemas whose components match yours, use
them with great care.  Why?  Appropriation,
or vampiric acquisition.  You suck the life
out of languages by appropriating terms that
are almost the same but not quite.  The domain
bleeds to death.  If however, you can with
great certainty determine that term is the
one THEY mean, then use it consistently.

Use the terms the customer understands and if
the customer shares the terms with others, that
is the business of the customer.   If you want
to create schemas the whole world will embrace,
hail you as the new Andreesen, whatever, join
OASIS or some other similarly large group whose
business it is to negotiate worldViews with some
other entity in that business, such as the United
Nations.  But scope to the business.   This is
not about standardizing terms.  That is the side
effect of standardizing processes and it is
not a semantic web, it is a web of standard,
discoverable, services.

Know what's in your head.  Know what your head is in.

Len Bullard
Intergraph Public Safety
clbullar@ingr.com
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard