   Re: XML Translator

  • From: tpassin@home.com
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 08:58:29 -0400

Han Chock Lee asks -

> I have a xml file of size around 140Mbytes and I need to transform it to
> thousands of smaller xml files. I have not been also to use  paser to read
> the file because of  java.lang.OutOfMemoryError.
>
> Is there a way to solve the problem ? and what is the best approach to
build
> the xml files ?

Two choices -

1) Use Sax - write handlers to break the document into pieces.  This will
process the file as a stream and you won't run out of memory.

2) If the xml structure is not too complex, use text processing languages
(Python, Perl) to break it up.  This can be very easy depending on the
document design.

Tom Passin