   Re: Unnecessary well-formedness constraint

  • From: Rob Lugt <roblugt@bigfoot.com>
  • To: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>, xml-dev <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 09:35:27 +0100

I agree, %Fred; has no special meaning outside of the DTD and therefore
the constraint is misleading.

On a related point I would like to question why 'PEReference' appears in the
grammar at all.  By including it in a few odd places it gives the impression
that these few places are the only places where PE references are allowed.
They are, of course, permitted almost anywhere in the DTD (apart from the
handful of exclusions described in XML 1.0, 2.8).

This point certainly caught me out when I first started looking at the XML
grammar.

Regards
Rob Lugt
ElCel Technology