   RE: RELAX to ISO

  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • To: KenNorth <KenNorth@email.msn.com>, xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 08:37:53 -0500

In order:

1.  No.  A schema is still an SGML document.  If
you use XML, you are using SGML.  That disappoints
the "lunatic left wing fringe" of XML but that's
the way the documents read.

2.  The problem pointed out is duplication.  XML is
already covered by ISO documents per the previous mail,
so why bother.  They can cite ISO and still cover XML.
In a situation like that, I don't know if ISO allows
such duplication.

3.  ISO incubated SGML, not IBM.  IBM incubated GML.
Usually, ISO doesn't incubate a technology; it ratifies
one and manages the signatory means to ensure conformance.

I'm not sure that pushing XML to ISO buys anything new
except new editors.

Be careful what you wish for.

Len
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard