   RE: (XML is SGML, part 1,002) Re: RELAX to ISO

  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • To: KenNorth <KenNorth@email.msn.com>, xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 09:02:35 -0500

It reflects not two applications, but different sets
of tests.  Typically the benefit is:

1.  Contractual authority - citing an ISO standard
supports nation to nation agreements.

2.  Testability - the ISO version should have fewer
options and direct mapping to tests that enable one
to prove conformance

These are not negligible benefits.  They do require
that the article be stable enough to provide coverage
for the review period cycles (around five years but
ISO experts should comment).  In other words, in ISO,
documented process is a very serious concern and
therefore administration costs are at issue.  Editors
and companies who commit to ISO are committing to
serious investments in ISO work.

So, by the time the cake gets to ISO, it should be well-baked.
If a consortium is still experimenting, don't do it.

Len Bullard
Intergraph Public Safety
clbullar@ingr.com
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard