   RE: standards body parallel

  • From: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 12:25:29 -0400

At 11:11 AM 10/13/00 -0500, Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:
>Or take some time to read The Federalist Papers
>detailing the warps and woofs of trying to
>move from confederation to federation.

I don't think there's even confederation in the land of P2P at this point,
so I don't quite see what you're getting at here.

As fond as I am of The Federalist Papers, they're pretty tightly bound to a
period when transportation and communication were extremely difficult, not
the free-ranging world that Internet development efforts appear intent on
maintaining.

Alexander Hamilton in the IETF?  I don't think so.  Power and the Internet
are a pretty difficult combination - that whole thing about 'routing
around' makes it tough for those with 19th and early 20th century
conceptions of intellectual property and business models.

But hey, if they want to try...

Simon St.Laurent
XHTML: Migrating Toward XML