   Re: standards body parallel

  • From: Daniel Veillard <Daniel.Veillard@w3.org>
  • To: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 21:25:51 +0200

On Fri, Oct 13, 2000 at 02:45:27PM -0400, Simon St.Laurent wrote:
> Not being an insider at the W3C, I have to speculate, but there are persistent
> rumors that companies with larger market share do in fact receive considerably
> more deference than smaller firms whose role in making standards succeed or
> fail is considered less substantial.

  I'm usually extremely quiet but I will ask you to back up your claim
or retire it. I'm a W3C WG cochair and W3C employee. In a WG a
vote is a vote is a vote. The next point is whether at the end of the day
the spec being the result of the work is implemented, and can then go to
REC after member vote (where again a vote is a vote is a vote). And
considering implementation a larger firm is not likely to be a better
candidate to provide a timely implementation to check that the spec is
actually sound (as Jonathan pointed out previously !).

> That may just be realpolitik, of course.

  What are you doing here except politic Simon ? You started this thread
trying to show something, other read is in others ways, you're trying to
minimize other people view IMHO.

> I found it telling that a rep from Cisco, not an independent, was suggesting
> the W3C as a role model.

  Cisco is also very engaged at IETF I don't think you can point them
at being unaware of the various models.

Daniel

--
Daniel.Veillard@w3.org | W3C, INRIA Rhone-Alpes  | Today's Bookmarks :
Tel : +33 476 615 257  | 655, avenue de l'Europe | Linux XML libxml WWW