   RE: standards body parallel

  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • To: Jonathan.Robie@SoftwareAG-USA.com
  • Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 16:27:55 -0500

Title: RE: standards body parallel
There is a wonderful point someone made about
the Xanadu project in which they pointed out
that even in hypertext systems, it is just as
important to forget as to remember.
Maintenance aside, "I lost my reputation
years ago and haven't missed it since" as
the lady said, so I am not bothered by
the archival of lists.

All the "little people" are usually asking
for is access.  When given it, they often
do a very good job contributing.  I am
amazed we have done so much on the
newtwork and anyone can still doubt that.

But archival, issues-resolution and cross
referencing, formal proposals, detailed specification,
this is not work for a mail list.  It is work for
an editor.  That editor has a chorus called
a working group.   I don't care for the costs but
there are ways around them and someone has
to pay for administration.   I honestly believe
that people support better that which they
have had a chance to contribute to.  The wiser
WG heads know that and open up their processes
as wide as the consortium or standards body
allows.   One side effect of that is those allowed
to participate get better at it.   Really, does anyone
here think the tech writers wouldn't help if they
had access to the documents to edit?  Nothing
is more powerful than their urge to rewrite other
people's prose.

Len Bullard
Intergraph Public Safety
clbullar@ingr.com