   RE: standards body parallel

  • From: Joshua Allen <joshuaa@microsoft.com>
  • To: 'Ronald Bourret' <rpbourret@rpbourret.com>,"'xml-dev@xml.org'" <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 01:42:24 -0700

> Fact is, in spite of the fact that mistakes are the fastest
> way to learn
> (as long as you don't kill yourself or take down the company), most
> people are extremely reluctant to make them and even more reluctant to
> air them.

My motto used to be "I learn from mistakes, so I want to make as many as
possible."  Now I like to read every bit of research, publication, etc. that
I can get my hands on -- I prefer to learn from other people's mistakes as
much as possible.  And of course I still make lots of my own.

Perhaps another reason for people not wanting to air their mistakes is to
prevent others from short-cutting past the school of hard knocks and
benefitting from those mistakes.  Probably not as powerful a motive as the
others you cite, though.