   RE: standards development and community process

  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • To: KenNorth <KenNorth@email.msn.com>, xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 13:54:09 -0500

Ok, but let's review how that was done so everyone
understands.   What works once in different circumstances
may or may not work again.  Sorry about the length but
having been there for both, I guess I have some input:

Some history and comments:

1.  VRML started out on a mail list that Mark
Pesce and Gavin Bell moderated and Brian Behelendorf
administered.  The orientation of the initial group
made all the difference.  They believed they could
do it and they had a plan.

2.  The discussion was very focused.  If one began
to stray into threads not related to the spec, Mark
or Gavin could be very pointed in stopping that.
And I do mean, pointed.  Tough skin required.

3.  No one was interested.  Let me explain.  Outside
of SGI and a few small companies, no bigger concerns
gave a hoot.  They watched to see if it turned into
anything successful.  XML was different.  We knew it
would work.  It became a sales job but as Bray has
noted before, that wasn't that hard.  Companies knew it
would work.  SGML proved it.  It just needed tightening
and focus.  VRML 1.0 was Open Inventor --.  So like
XML, simplifying an existing design and taking account
for the platform (THE WWW) was the job.

4.  The authors stayed quiet (see 2).  The developers
were semi-open about the code they were developing. Let's
say they shared their embarrassment openly.  SGI
kick started things with a parser.  Sharing and conformance
were key.  After an implementation was available, the
authors became full participants and their feedback
was and is invaluable.  Someone has to use the thing
but again, context.

5.  This was ONE application language.  No meta-ideas
were introduced until VRML 2.0 (now ISO VRML97).  This
helped the focus, so one might better compare it to
SVG or HTML.  Narrow focus with no regard to larger
issues helps and hinders, but to stay on schedule,
it is vital.

6. Once we got into VRML97, there was a big list for
discussions such as these and working lists for tightly
focused projects.  Self-governance depends on discipline
with respect to activity and context.  It can be difficult
to pull together as the WGs spawn like fish and need to
swim upstream over new obstacles to get back together.
That integration work is the hardest work of all and
folks like Connoly get my respect for doing it.

7.  It has been suggested that one reason the W3C did not
embrace VRML was that it was not their spec (NIH) and
because powerful members of the W3C (vendors) were driven
back when they tried to muscle in.  There is something to
what Simon is saying and don't think it doesn't happen; it
is just a case-by-case thing and all is forgiven after the
final drafts are approved.  For everyone's sake, practice
Coyote and Sheepdog politics:  anything goes until the bell
rings, then go drink beer together.  People are more important
than technology.  Build bridges afterhours.

8.  Mistakes in design were made and some compromises
compromised market share.  Designing a one size fits all
usually results in coverage but not fit.  VRML is often
cited as a failure but to date, it remains the only web
standard for real-time 3D graphics.  It needed to be
componentized because its emergence dovetailed the explosion
in web browser size and that knocked it out of the download
slipstream.  That has changed.  There are some really very
nice VRML97 players out there now with component designs.
Check out www.parallelgraphics.com for Cortona.  Or check
out the Shout design, or the Blaxxun design.  I like cortona
because it supports MP3 (so sue me, i am a musician).

ISO participation did not start until the second version
(VRML97).  At that point, it was decided that an official
home for the spec was needed and some of us successfully
plead for ISO.  As I said then, leaving gold in the
town square without guards is bad security, and the specs
need maintenance.    There had already been a deal in the works
between ISO and SGI over Open Inventor.  Rikk Carrey approached
them about using VRML instead.  In the spirit of the emerging
web, it carried.  Note that these issues were discussed and
experienced people on the list made the points made here about
a process.  Boy did we ever fight over process, but in the
end, it came down to enabling the greatest number of voices
to be heard as long as there were leaders capable of moving
the discussion to closure around a consensus.  We also voted
online.  Weird, but Jeffersonian democracy does work when
the issues are clear and limited in scope.

Note that the ISO process is somewhat separated
from the list process.  The Web3D Consortium handles the lists
and its members keep track.  ISO works in concert with them
and its representatives are members of the lists.  Nothing
is hidden and it gets raucous.  What ISO does is make sure
it keeps moving to a schedule and the editing meets spec.
Note, the Technical leader actually has to take the punishment
for that.

We keep it open because that is how we choose to work and we pay for that
with inefficiencies.  On the other hand, we don't tell
people to bugger off and shut up unless they really really
get on nerves, even then, no one removes them from the list.
The challenge of maintaining a community is one we meet
because it is the greatest accomplishment of all, far greater
than the spec itself.  Tech comes and goes;  people count.

Without the community, the spec is paper.  With the community,
the spec brings coherence to our competition to outbuild
each other.  It is to be relished, savored, and appreciated.

Big powers have tried to muscle VRML.  It doesn't work.
There is a period prior to choosing the VRML97 design
which is interesting reading.  The design chosen was
actually voted on by the list members at large.  This
same tact has been useful at other times.  People learned
how to negotiate to consensus, and if they embarassed themselves,
they were no worse off than Wyle E Coyote at the bottom
of a canyon.  They accept the potential to race the bird.

However, "as the twig is bent, so grows the tree."  VRML
was started by individuals for whom community was the most
important quality for a specification to become a standard.
Without the consent of the governed, no governing authority
can govern.   Because community, the prime ethos, has been
such a driving force, and because anytime this ethic has
been challenged, the member community cohered behind it, it
has been easy to meet the challenge.   This has had mixed
results.

It took a year to get VRML1.0 out.  It took about
two years to get VRML2.0 out.  VRMLnextGen is coming together,
but the fight over the object model is fierce: the question
being, is the DOM the right model for performance-centric apps?
XML has been the most contentious issue we have had to deal
with because it opens the community to the need to share
by common means with a greater community, and yes, there
is a lesson in that for those who think the W3C can be like
the Web3D Consortium.

The problem with ISO is they want a standard.  The problem with
designers is that they want fast, competitive software.  The
challenge is to meet that in the middle with something everyone
still cares about and is still marketable.  Gritty work.  ISO
had to promise the spec could be freely downloaded.  Since it
is a Web3D spec before it becomes and ISO standard, that was
an easy arrangement to make.  It stays online and Dick Puk
at ISO understands the community rules and abides by them.

Also, note that during the time when "no one cares", very small design
teams ably lead pulled it together.   Behind the list, behind
the ISO partnership, this is still the case.  Without the commitment
of able individuals who fully understand the cost of commitment, this
means does not work.  Even HTMLers have to admit that unless Andreesen
and whoever else had not forced hands, we might have a different
world today.  As I said, sometimes someone has to go BerserkerOnTheBridge
and sometimes, a whole division has to knock them off the bridge.
It isn't always a courtly game and those with courtly reputations
preserve them often by withdrawing from the conflict and letting
knights take the hard blows so they can then re-emerge, spread their
courtly wisdom, and bow out unsullied and with the appearance
of accomplishment.  Caveat Emptor.

Last summer, we redebated the VRML process issues as certain powers
were unhappy with certain decisions.  We came to a good compromise
that ensured progress without giving into a central polity that
could ignore the lists at will.  Some folks are still unhappy
about the results and wanted to overturn the votes.  It came
down to Neal Trevett, President, standing up and saying, "nope,
they voted, we heel".  And on we go.  At any time, that could
all change.  Attention is required.

It is easy to create when the eyes of the world are elsewhere.
Real time improvisation is tough.  It takes practice and grounding
in theory with real chops.  Experience counts.  Style counts.
Above all, butts in seats count.  No butts = no applause = no $.

Len
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.
Daamyata. Datta. Dayadhvam.h