   RE: Realistic proposals to the W3C?

  • From: Jonathan.Robie@SoftwareAG-USA.com
  • To: Mike.Champion@SoftwareAG-USA.com, xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 17:49:57 -0400

Title: RE: Realistic proposals to the W3C?

Mike Champion wrote:

> My concern is that the W3C can't be both the "research lab for
> the Web" and the "one-stop shop for de-facto standards for the
> Web".  Or at least it can't do this without making this
> distinction more clear in its process and in its outputs. And
> it should not even THINK about complicating the proven technology
> in order to make life easier for the folks in the research lab.

True.

But the tough question remains the legacy data question - if someone spends 2 years playing with a new technology and proves that it is useful, can we find a way to create a more solid specification based on experience without causing massive incompatibility problems with existing data?

If we can figure out how to crack that nut, I think we could iron out the problems that we all bump into. So far, it's been a hard nut to crack.

Jonathan