   RE: Realistic proposals to the W3C?

  • From: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 19:13:02 -0400

At 06:24 PM 10/16/00 -0400, Jonathan.Robie@SoftwareAG-USA.com wrote:

> The W3C Process Document, which outlines the process used in the W3C, says
> that Working Drafts must be produced every 3 months to keep the public
> informed:
>
> <snip
> source="<http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Process/Process-19991111/>http://www
> .w3.org/Consortium/Process/Process-19991111/">
> At least every three months, a Working Group must publish a (public) Working
> Draft to keep the community abreast of its progress and to prompt the
Working
> Group to resolve issues in a timely fashion. The first public Working Draft
> (or release of the document for review beyond the Working Group) must be
> approved by the Director.
>
> </snip>
>
> If the public is no more than 3 months behind the members, that doesn't seem
> all that egregrious to me.

If that were followed religiously, or even regularly, I'd be a much happier
XHTML developer.  However, we've still got:

http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/WD-xhtml11-20000105

We're at about 9.5 months on that one, and I wish I could report that it was a
deeply unusual case.

Sometimes just sticking to the rules would help though, certainly!

Simon St.Laurent
XHTML: Migrating Toward XML