   Re: Realistic proposals to the W3C?

  • From: Amy Lewis <amyzing@talsever.com>
  • To: "Clark C. Evans" <cce@clarkevans.com>, xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 22:34:33 -0400

On Mon, Oct 16, 2000 at 02:59:22PM -0400, Clark C. Evans wrote:
>On Mon, 16 Oct 2000 Mike.Champion@SoftwareAG-USA.com wrote:
>> CLARITY OF SPECS
>>
>> Insist on an open source reference implementation?
>
>Absolutely.  Only, call me strange, but I would go
>one step further and say that the reference
>implementation *is* the recommendation and that
>any other explanatory documents are secondary.

Another view:

1) require that a candidate recommendation be accompanied by a
conformance-determining test suite (hah!  eXtreme Specifying, anyone?)
2) since W3C wishes to remain a vendor forum, adopt the principles of
other vendor coalitions: no recommendation may *leave* candidate status
until two member organizations have produced conformant (see 1),
interoperable implementations.

No rough consensus; that's left to the working groups and W3C members.
Hot and cold running code ....

Amy!
--
Amelia A. Lewis          alicorn@mindspring.com          amyzing@talsever.com
I stopped by the bar at 3 a.m. to seek solace in a bottle, or possibly a