   RE: sunshine and standards development

  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • To: KenNorth <KenNorth@email.msn.com>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 13:18:00 -0500

Title: RE: sunshine and standards development
Understood.  I've seen similar rules and regulations.
We don't have to like them, but they are there and
we can smooth the path if we accept these authorities
and engage them wisely.

XML 1.0 is ready for prime time.  The issues are with
the sibling specifications.   I think they have to look
at which are and are not implemented and resident
on some number of platforms and ready to use.
DOM, for example, looks solid.  XSLT looks solid.
XLinks may be solid but I don't see them in use
yet.    I agree that there should be some
means similar to ISO HTML and VRML to
move a specification to a standards organization
when it is proven, implemented, and widely
available.  I believe that meets the criteria
for standardization.

As for XML and SQL, there are problems here.
I watched a SQLServer 2000 demo last night
that blew my socks off, but the changes to
the SQL syntax could not be standard at this
point.  For this reason, in procurements, some
leeway is granted case by case.  The negotiators
have to be well-informed and cautious.  Usually
when I have dealt with organizations for whom
such things are important, there is also commensurate
expertise even if they require a kid with a propellor
on his head to explain the acronyms.

Len Bullard
Intergraph Public Safety
clbullar@ingr.com