   RE: Realistic proposals to the W3C?

  • From: Gavin Thomas Nicol <gtn@ebt.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 02:59:28 -0400

> However, if the W3C is to be a research lab for the web,
> it has to be free to try some things that are not
> proven technology.

Sure, but not by peddling pseudo-standards like RDF.

>In 1997, most people I talked to about XML query languages
>thought the whole idea was a crock. Today, the idea seems to
>have caught fire. The XQL folks and the XML-QL folks
>were investigating this area before it was clear to
>most people that it would be worthwhile.

That's pretty specious. People had been doing XML/SGML
query languages *way* before XQL. Hell's teeth, there were
excellent query languages in existence *before XML* even.

I think a lot of people you talked to thought *XQL*
was a crock.

>HTML and HTTP also had plenty of critics in their
>early days.

They still do. Both succeeded due to simplicity and
hype. They are examples of the market making the standard,
not the standards committees.