   RE: Services-based automation (WAS RE: Realistic proposals to the W3C?)

  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • To: Gavin Thomas Nicol <gtn@ebt.com>, xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 10:53:07 -0500

The reliability issue is key.  We did a round on that
term as a logistics consideration awhile back.  However,
computing a reliability numbers (eg, Mean Time Between
Failure, Mean Time To Repairs) and quality assurance
numbers (Mean Time To Response), we will have multiple
articles to factor in.

o  The URI, conflating name
and location, is problematic.  How can it denote both a
replicable resource and a bound resource?  That is why
FPIs and System IDs are separated.

o  The schema.  This has a better chance.  Even if it
is evolving, when a central authority owns a schema
and has good change control procedures, the quality of
it can be controlled.  If it is dynamic in real time,
all bets are off other than predictive quality.

o  The component.  This has as good a chance as
testing provides.  The dllHell issue is still with us
and though the new operating systems are offering
better options, it comes down to site tuning.  Binding
it to an authoritative schema improves our ability
to wire it into the process.  A bad process will still
be a bad process.

RDF and predicate systems might be one more tool.
They require yet another skill and toolset
and with all of the logistics considerations, might
have a hard time finding a niche among stored
database procedures, OLAP, and so on.  However, as a
technology that has not yet emerged with sufficient
density to characterize as a success, we have to
take a wait and see stance.   As a basis for a
vision of the future web, the semantic web seems
ill-timed and as yet, unrealizable for most
sites.  A services-based web is a doable, here now,
must make sure all the pieces work coherently
kind of vision.  We can explain it, we can implement it,
and IMO, we can field it reliably.  If we are
sharp negotiators and professional designers, we
will get coherence provided the next round of
standards and specs don't drive us into the weeds.

If we are to offer realistic proposals, we need a
realistic request for proposals. That's good business.
If the previous eight years of web emergence can be
characterized, one might say good splat but bad business.
That phase is over and we must ensure the standards,
specifications, and recommendations have a sound
foundation in the business applications.

For this, I say services, not semantics.

Len
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.
Daamyata. Datta. Dayadhvam.h