   Re: Services-based automation (WAS RE: Realistic proposals to the W3C?)

  • From: Rick JELLIFFE <ricko@geotempo.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 04:45:36 +0800

"Thomas B. Passin" wrote:

> Jonathan Borden wrote -

> > The XML model defines a node labelled directed graph.

> Do the two models really represent anything different?

It is too unformed for prime time, but this thread fills me with hope
that I might get some feedback for something I am struggling with.

I am interested in reviews or suggestions (off-list) about a draft note
I am writing in the general area of serializing graphs into XML.

The note explores the idea that a good markup language hides certain
kinds of arcs which might be present in a fully explicit RDF-style data
representation. So the function of a schema language (or of a
serialization strategy, to the extent that one is the inverse of the
other!) is to declare which arcs will have been elided (or to figure out
which arcs to elide, in the case of the serialization strategy). Things
such as "co-occurrence constraints" and "inheritence" are symptoms of
this kind of elision.

The note is at
 http://www.ascc.net/~ricko/schematron.PDF

Please don't waste your time looking at this unless you are highly
motivated, because it is pre-draft, and is geared towards Schematron.

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe