   RE: Services-based automation (WAS RE: Realistic proposals to the W3C?)

  • From: Gavin Thomas Nicol <gtn@ebt.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 18:25:03 -0400

> RDF schemas are intended to complement not replace XML schemas. An RDF
> schema defines a semantic hierarchy, or network, of element names. The URI
> created by concatenating the namespace URI to the element name
> identifies an RDF Schema Class to which the instance belongs, or may
> identifiy an RDF Schema Property.

And hence they are broken.

I have the domain www.jersey.com which has cool information about sweaters,
so I define my namespace:

  <doc xmlns:j="http://www.jersey.com/schema">
    <j:price>$100</j:price>
  </doc>

so j:price identifies an RDF Schema Class. Here j:price means "price
of a football jersey".

The folk on the island get annoyed and buy my domain name for $100,000
(small island), and then they decide to create a schema for defining
prices for tours of the island. They use the namespace:

  <doc xmlns:j="http://www.jersey.com/schema">
    <j:price>100 pound</j:price>
  </doc>

Does j:price now still identify the same RDF Schema Class as before?