   RE: RDF/XML, Node vs. Edge labeled graphs was: Re: Services-basedautomat

  • From: Michael Rys <mrys@microsoft.com>
  • To: 'Jonathan Borden' <jborden@mediaone.net>,"Thomas B. Passin" <tpassin@home.com>, xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 17:23:30 -0700

Just a nitpick. Infoset is neither node nor edge-labelled. It just describes
information items (which can be either nodes or edges).

Also, XML is not inherently node-based (any tree model can either be node or
edge-labelled or both and can be transformed loss-less into each other). It
is however in my personal opinion unfortunate that the prevalent W3C specs
use node-labelled models which make it hard to add any reference types as
first class citizens into their data model. It also forces any upcoming data
model to use a node-labelled model for consistency across specs.

Best regards
Michael
--
Program Manager, SQL Server XML Technologies
Former member of the InfoSet WG and member of the Query WG