   Re: RDF, the "semantic web",and the nadir of AI (was RE: Realisticpropos

  • From: uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
  • To: Ronald Bourret <rpbourret@rpbourret.com>, xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 22:23:13 -0600 (MDT)

> As to a semantic Web reliable enough to automagically run
> business-to-business transactions -- such as sending an XML-based
> invoice to a supplier that you've never dealt with before without having
> to set anything up beforehand -- well, it's a nice idea but, sweet
> dreams.

This drives me nuts.  The idea that AI, EDI, BPR, Schemas, or the semantic
_anything_ will completely automate any entire facet of business is
ludicrous, but it's suspiciously hard to find the people who supposedly
make such claims.

Most of a time, this supposed claim is just a straw man for a wilful
rant.  Not that those are all bad, of course...