   RE: RDF, the "semantic web", and the nadir of AI (was RE: Realist icprop

  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • To: uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
  • Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 08:30:34 -0500

Thanks for entering the thread.  Much appreciated.

You have stated a position that roughly says, we
can do useful stuff with RDF.  I am familiar with prolog, also
did time fascinated with the ultra-claims of AI, and live in a
country that thinks talk radio is journalism, so I am used
to hype in decision making and the rhetoric of the market.
Only informed debate and attention clarifies such.

I am not marketing here.  Some threads are overlapping.  One
that the W3C shows a distinct lack of clarity and that is
impeding progress in implementation.   The "semantic web"
has come up as an example.  During the debate, that term has
come down to the use of URIs and RDF.  We are making progress
in clarifying the vagueness of the W3C ideas.

So far, so good.  Given a web of services, what services
will frame-based/RDF/AI provide?   We can save the comparisons
to OLAP and other technologies to later.  They do work, are
being used far more widely, and thus don't have to be
defended post-emergence.

I picked your article up from xml.com because it was the
most well-stated with code examples.  We need that level
of expertise to sketch out use cases.  Drop the term
semantic web if as for others here, it does not add useful
information.

Len
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.