   RE: XML Schemas: Best Practices

  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • To: Jon Cleaver <j.cleaver@eris.dera.gov.uk>,"Roger L. Costello" <costello@mitre.org>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 08:49:47 -0500

Be careful how far you chase
that analogy.  It has come up in several
efforts in markup in the past and has some
benefits and some bad side effects.  Markup
produces data objects and we have insist
on precision in that definition.  The more
we design object-orientation into markup,
the more we tie it to a particular style
of implementation programming.  This can
be a good thing but it can also hobble
other implementation techniques.  This
was covered thorougly in the debates that
lead to XML 1.0.  Data objects are about
as far as one can push XML without compromising
applicability.

For the OO programmer, a given style is useful.
For the relational programmer, that may not
be the case.

BTW, noting your signature, we have to cooperate
with the universe because our head is in it.  If
it chooses idiocy and we protest too loudly,
we may find ourselves ruling in Hell.

Len Bullard
Intergraph Public Safety
clbullar@ingr.com