   Re: Should we care about elements order ?

  • From: Rick JELLIFFE <ricko@geotempo.com>
  • To: ",xml-dev@lists.xml.org" <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 01:20:30 +0800

Eric van der Vlist wrote:

> 1) Should we always pay attention to the relative order of the elements
> within XML documents ?

By default yes.

> 3) What do schema based validation tools have to say about this ?

I have heard of an effort to define a simple element that would sit
in XML Schemas appinfo element, and which would let you specify whether
order was significant.

> 4) Can we find a solution amongst rules based validation tools ?

See 1

For schematron, repetitive grouping issues within elements are
not particularly convenient, but the fact that we think of documents
like that is a throwback to grammars.  Most kinds of order and openness
can be reprented.

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe