   RE: Should we care about elements order ?

  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • To: Eric van der Vlist <vdv@dyomedea.com>, xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 15:33:49 -0500

Yes.  That is why recordset walking occupies a lot
of ASP scripting.  Occasionally, using
some logic to concatenate morphs and microparsing
has its applications.

Anyone who wants to understand or illustrate
the differences, try to write an XML editor
that uses a relational database to populate a
treeview based on a related table that contains
the type definition information.  After this,
the DOM is seen as a really really nice thing
to have.  It is very hard to do this with
recordsets precisely because the order isn't
known, so one punts to keeping a morphology
as a field to keep up with current position.
Madness follows quickly usually as one tries
to walk out the pseudo-tree.

There were some papers published on this
in the auto industry in the early nineties.
I can't remember the fellow's name but he
advocated precisely such a system in which
one stored strucuture names such as chapter,
section, etc in the record.  It had a big
following at TechDoc Winter 92.  As I recall,
Goldfarb counterpublished information showing
precisely how brittle the system would be.
I tried it myself using namespaces and
the definition table trick.  Madness but
an excellent experiment mainly because,
I won't do that again. :-)

Len Bullard
Intergraph Public Safety