   Deriving By Restriction

  • From: Lindsey McNerney <lindzer1@yahoo.com>
  • To: xerces-j-dev@xml.apache.org, xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 15:19:58 -0700 (PDT)

I have a complex type that I want to use to derive a
more restricted complex type, in other words, use one
structure where five elements are required and
re-define the structure so that one element is
optional.  I realize that I could use the 'derivedBy'
attribute, however I don't want to have to redefine
all the elements of my original structure, I just want
to list the one element that has changed.  Is my
understanding correct that to use derived by
restriction all the elements of the base type
structure must be repeated?  If so, is there another
way to accomplish this?

Thank you.