   Re: Must DTDs constrain order?

  • From: Evan Lenz <elenz@xyzfind.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 00:48:54 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 27 Oct 2000, Tim Bray wrote:

> Here's another one.  Since you're going to have to write
> some code anyhow to validate against business rules, just
> put the content check in there and don't waste your time
> trying to make DTDs do things that aren't cost-effective.
> -Tim

Depends on the purpose of the DTD...  If it's strictly for validation,
comments won't do any good anyway.  But if it's more for documentation
than anything else, I'm finding that a DTD spruced up with a comment or
two does pretty well in getting the job done.  In my case, all the code
has already been written.

Evan Lenz
elenz@xyzfind.com