   RE: tabs to indent for pretty-printing (is it correct?)

  • From: David Valera <dvalera@pcl-hage.nl>
  • To: 'Sean McGrath' <sean@digitome.com>, xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 14:55:25 +0100

> At 07:56 AM 10/31/00 -0500, you wrote:
> >David Valera writes:
> >
> >  [on converting spaces to tabs]
> >
> >  > Well, it is my inderstanding of the XML spec that it actually
> >  > *does* change the actual content since in the first example there
> >  > are a few textnodes (with tabs in it) that are not present in the
> >  > second example. An XML processor must always pass all
> characters in
> >  > a document. Tabs and spaces are such characters.
>
> It is not quite that simple. Consider this:-
> <Example
>                  type    = "Simple   Example"
>                  purpose =            "illustrative">
> </Example>
>
> Most of the tabs and spaces in the above document are not
> passed to the application.

Well, I was only talking about non markup tabs and spaces. From the XML
spec:

"An XML processor must always pass all characters in a document that are not
markup through to the application".

tabs and spaces within the markup (except the ones inside the '"' marks)
should be ignored. Am I correct assuming this?

David Valera