   RE: XML for Online Games

  • From: Joshua Allen <joshuaa@microsoft.com>
  • To: "'Bullard, Claude L (Len)'" <clbullar@ingr.com>,Sam Hunting <sam_hunting@yahoo.com>, Linda van den Brink <lvdbrink@baan.nl>,xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 16:57:31 -0800

The interesting thing about shared illusions, as you touch upon here, is
that you often only care about "sharing" the illusion with a finite
population of your universe.  This is much like the real world -- if a tree
falls in London, I probably don't care.  This also means that loose
collections of nodes working together (napster on steroids) can scale fairly
naturally in illusion-sharing situations.  If you have a central server
holding all of the objects of the universe and dispatching information, that
machine gets overheated.  Let the software be the laws of the universe, and
let people get reality from whoever they're standing near.  ("standing near"
in a virtual sense, of course).  "Proximity" and "location" can be fluid
things, but usually exist in some form in wired contexts as well.

Another thing slightly related to latency in shared illusion systems is the
issue of trust.  Even when you get to the point where your system has
tolerable latency, can you trust that the illusions you are looking at have
not been tampered with?  In long-running transactions (xlang, edi, etc.)
much attention is paid to the idea of trust, under the implicit assumption
that trust is harder to ensure when you have lots and lots of equal peers.
But the trust issue is just as much a problem when the illusion dispenser is
a central server.  While a distributed state system needs to watch out for
localized tomfoolery, a centralized sytstem is more vulnerable to
"byzantine" threats.  Byzantine could be used to describe a gang of vandals
slicing cables in your data center, a hacker deliberately polluting the
blood supply of illusion flowing to all clients, or it could describe
corporeal legal entities attempting to enforce law by going for your
system's jugular (cat illusions|tr "democracy" "the glorious and wonderful
peoples republic").  It's possible to imagine the latter byzantine threat
becoming an important consideration in corporate system design as
multinational corporations do business that spans multiple corporeal legal
authorities who may all have different laws and enforcemnt policies.  The
question becomes "who do ya trust?".  Not all of us would trust every
individual, but neither would all of trust every organization with the power
to go byzantine on our data.

To me, the trust issue is the one with which we have the least experience as
an industry.  This is also going to be the most important cahllenge for us
to solve long-term.  One interesting project is at
http://research.microsoft.com/sn/Farsite/.

P.S. We tolerate inconsistencies in the real world all the time.  To quote
from a favorite play by Pirandello, "Oh sir, you know well that life is full
of infinite absurdities, which, strangely enough, do not even need to appear
plausible, since they are true."