   Problem on XML+XSL

  • From: taherkordy@dpi2.dpi.net.ir
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Fri, 04 Jun 1999 10:42:56 +0330

     Hi,
     I have some problems in writing XSL stylesheets.
     Suppose we have the following XML file(book.xml) that is
     extracted from the Book Table:

        <?xml version="1.0"?>
        <book>
                <title> Computer Networks </title>
                <category_id> 2 </category_id>
        </book>
     I also have a Parameters table and have extracted values
     for "category" parameter as follows(parameter.xml):

        <?xml version="1.0"?>
        <parameter>
                <category>
                        <category_item id="1">Art</category_item>
                        <category_item id="2">Computer</category_item>
                        <category_item id="3">Physics</category_item>
                        ..
                </category>
        </parameter>

     I want to have the following Html file as the result of
     merging two XML files and an XSL file(what that I want to help me):

     Title :
        <INPUT TYPE='text' NAME='txtTitle' VALUE="Computer Networks" >
     Category:
        <SELECT NAME="category" SIZE=1>
                <OPTION value='1'>Art
                <OPTION value='2' SELECTED>Computer
                <OPTION value='3'>Physics
        </SELECT>

     I have two quietions :

     1. I think that when reading from Book and Parameter
        table, I should make an XML file that have information about
        books and categrory parameters togother.
        Such as following XML:

        <?xml version="1.0"?>
        <book>
                <title> Computer Networks </title>
                <category>
                        <category_item >
                                <description>Art</description>
                                <id>1</id>
                                <selected>false</selected>
                        </category item>
                        <category_item >
                                <description>Computer</description>
                                <id>2</id>
                                <selected>true</selected>
                        </category item>
                        <category_item >
                                <description>Physics</description>
                                <id>3</id>
                                <selected>false</selected>
                        </category item>
                </category>
        </book>

       I want to know that Is it right this idea ?

     2. I want to  write an XSL stylesheet for producing this HTML file
        that automatically selects "computer" option in category Combobox
        based on value of "category_id" in book.xml and "id"
        attribute in parameter.xml
        Could you please help me for writing this XSL ,
        I'm new to XSL ? (I use LotusXSL parser)

     Best Regards,
     Taherkordy@dpi2.dpi.net.ir