   Semantic Web: The Bluster Continues

  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2000 09:50:36 -0600

For those interested, take note of Ed Dumbhill's semantic
web primer on XML.COM:

"The Semantic Web has already been the subject of much bluster
among the XML developer community and will doubtless continue to
be so. Arguments rage over the usefulness of the technology, the
difficulty of using RDF, and so on. However, the Semantic Web vision
of a machine-readable web has possibilities for application in most
web technology -- while some complain about its lack of definition,
its broad scope properly reflects the quietly radical effect it will
have on the Web."

A radical effect on the Saturn Corporation upon the fifth
visit to fix a problem which they consistently failed to
diagnose then said, "We just hook it up to the computer
and it tells us what to replace": the SL1 and
Saturn will be replaced.  New contract negotiation, new winner
based on poor service performance by previous vendor.  The
service model scales outward and is effective for
determining action if an internal service fails.

The web is as effective as the quality of services
it provides.  Negotiated contracts where names have temporal
and contract scopes are the basis for reliable services.
Ed says industry needs a vehicle object-relationship model.
They've had those for years and so does the military (MIL-STD-1808
for example).  What web technology contributes
is the ability to scale services using such down into local
shops that could not afford them before.   The problem will
be the reliability of the services based on sharable semantics.

The reliability of components sensitive to both a draconian
parse and a URI may be at issue.  We see failures of working
components such as XSLT when the URI changes.  Pushing
XSLT scripts to a very large user base given a single
change to a single string seems contrary to cost.  I have
doubts about sharable definitions that rely heavily on URIs.
We must be careful not to mistake the results of toy systems
developed experimentally for industrial quality services.

My guess is that web services concepts will continue to
dominate and provide superior focus for creating
requirements than the vision of a semantic web based
on sharable semantic networks.  Savvy vendors will
concentrate development resources on applying WSDL, UDDI, etc.

Len
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.
Daamyata. Datta. Dayadhvam.h