   Re: Procedural vs Declarative XML transformation approaches

  • From: Jose Luis Sierra Rodriguez <jlsierra@sip.ucm.es>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2000 19:45:27 +0100

Maybe you find useful the following work about document transformations. I think
authors provide with some discussion about the dichotomy between procedural and
declarative transformations (apart of giving an in-depth overview of transformation
techniques, mainly based on formal work on translation theory):

ftp://cs-archive.uwaterloo.ca/cs-archive/CS-95-46/CS-95-46.ps.gz

By the way, I don't think in XSLT as 'purely declarative', because you explicitly use
control directives in terms of 'xsl:apply-templates' elements (assuming that you are
not using a more programmatic style in terms of named templates). In the pointed work you
will find truly declarative approaches, unfortunately only applicable under more or less
strong assumptions about the involved input and result languages.
In my opinion, I think a distinction between 'domain-specific languages for document
transformation' and general-purpose languages equipped with facilities for document
manipulation could be more meaningful that the more fuzzy 'declarative-procedural'
taxonomy.

Best regards

Jose-Luis

--
Jose-Luis Sierra-Rodriguez
Dpto. Sistemas Informaticos |Room:  452 (Fac. Matematicas)