   Re: Procedural vs Declarative XML transformation approaches

  • From: Matt Sergeant <matt@sergeant.org>
  • To: Sean McGrath <sean@digitome.com>
  • Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 09:32:44 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 6 Nov 2000, Sean McGrath wrote:

> Using the Pyxie Python library the code would look like this:
>
> for f in T.Elements("foo"):
>          T.Seek(f)
>          print "\nfoo = "
>          for b in T.Children("bar"):
>                  T.Seek("bar")
>                  print T.JoinData()
>

> What is difficult about that? (Or have I misunderstood you?)

You've misunderstood me.

Now try using that same sort of procedural method to process a document,
rather than data, with a mixed content DTD such as

  <!ELEMENT p (#PCDATA|b|i)>
  <!-- rest of DTD snipped for brevity -->

For that sort of model you need an iterator, and to declare what you want
directly.

--
<Matt/>

    /||    ** Director and CTO **