   DTD specified by client or server?

  • From: Tim Daplyn <timd@cre.canon.co.uk>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 11:03:43 +0000

In a application where a client is required to send some information to a server in the form of an XML document which must conform to a specific DTD, should the client include a direct reference the DTD in the form of a DOCTYPE statement.
Alternatively, should the server expect a basic (well-formed) xml document with no explicit reference to the DTD, thereby leaving the server to explicitly validate the document against what it knows to be the correct DTD.
My specific situation is that I currently have a client which submits a 'full' xml document (including DOCTYPE referencing the DTD) to a server. My server just parses and validates the document, and if it parses ok, assumes it is what it is expecting. However, it is of course possible that a completely different type of xml document is submitted from elsewhere, which in itself is valid against the DTD it specifies, but has nothing to do with what my server wants.