   Re: DTD specified by client or server?

  • From: "Thomas B. Passin" <tpassin@home.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 09:02:25 -0500

Tim Daplyn said -

>My specific situation is that I currently have a client
which submits a 'full' xml document (including >DOCTYPE
referencing the DTD) to a server. My server just parses and
validates the document, and if it parses >ok, assumes it is
what it is expecting. However, it is of course possible that
a completely different type of xml >document is submitted
from elsewhere, which in itself is valid against the DTD it
specifies, but has nothing to >do with what my server wants.

This is like getting a file that's named doc.rtf, then
finding that it is really in Wordperfect format.  If this is
a real possiblitiy, you'd best put an identifying marker
(element or PI, I suppose) near the start of the documment.

Tom Passin