   Re: Dangers of Subsetting? (was RE: Pull-based XML parsers?)

  • From: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 10:55:34 -0500

At 12:02 AM 11/11/00 +0800, Rick JELLIFFE wrote:
>The innovation that Mike is talking about, the ability to use the name
>of a clearly specified technology developed by a known group of people
>with a known set of intents, but alter it in any way that one sees fit,
>might be called "lying" by some, and "passing off" by others, but most
>importantly is also called "embrace and extend".

Sounds like it was a very good thing that the SGML Editorial Review Board
transmogrified into the XML Working Group, or we might have people
complaining that XML itself commits these very crimes against SGML.

Perhaps the real crime XML itself commits is the nurturing of "80/20" as a
workable approach to solving problems more easily, making it clear to a
wide audience that there's room to cut more fat and still still have muscle.

XML itself isn't exactly seen as fat-free, leaving room for more 80/20 and
yet more 80/20.  Tough problem, but basically self-inflicted.

Simon St.Laurent
XHTML: Migrating Toward XML