   Re: Options in XML 1.0

  • From: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 14:38:29 -0500

At 01:24 PM 11/10/00 -0500, Jonathan Borden wrote:
>    Ok, fine. You've identified a problem (I agree that this is a problem)
>Simon says that the solution is to eliminate DTDs (or at least something to
>that effect).

Eliminating DTDs is _not_ my solution, nor is 'something to that effect'.
I asked a question about the current layering (or non-layering) approach
within XML 1.0 parsers, pointed out that it has significant
interoperability implications, and suggested that maybe this is worth
closer examination.

Acknowledging problems is the first step toward creating solutions, I
think, and we're getting there - if you'll drop the overheated rhetoric.

> I say that such a solution does not "fix" XML 1.0 so much as
>redefine XML into something else than XML. XML is XML warts and all.

Anything which 'fixes' XML has this problem, and there's no way around
that.  That doesn't mean it isn't worth considering.  For example, the W3C
seems rather intent on fixing various other parts of XML 1.0, with
Namespaces/XInclude/Schemas/etc., often in ways which don't work play very
nice with XML 1.0.  I don't see a lot of complaining about that.

Simon St.Laurent
XHTML: Migrating Toward XML