   Re: Embedding SQL statements in XML

  • From: Michel Rodriguez <mrodrigu@ieee.org>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 08:46:14 -0500 (EST)

Thanks to all for your answers to my question about embedded SQL
statements in XML.

I was looking for XML DTD fragments, not software, and so far it does not
look like there is any standard way of doing this.

The Oracle solution (http://technet.oracle.com/tech/xml/xsql_servlet/)
looks like the most generic one.

I wonder why there is nothing at W3C level on that, it seems to me that it
would be a great extension to XInclude.

In any case I guess I will have to design my own adhoc tag scheme(s),
depending on how much flexibility I want to allow in the queries.

As a side note it seems to me that this is an area where SGML is clearly
superior to XML through the use of the CONREF attribute type and custom
entity managers.

Michel Rodriguez
Perl & XML