   RE: Embedding SQL statements in XML

  • From: Michael Rys <mrys@microsoft.com>
  • To: Michel Rodriguez <mrodrigu@ieee.org>, xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 23:01:40 -0800

Besides the reference to the excellent overview page at
http://www.rpbourret.com that was already mentioned, I would like to point
you to the template mechanisms that many database vendors provide (some
tool-vendors already pointed to theirs). Examples are the SQLX templates in
Oracle 8i (that you already found), DADs in IBM DB2 and last but certainly
not least the query templates of SQLServer 2000 (that I find to be the best
of the bunch but then I am biased :-)).

There is currently no standardization of the mechanism for various reasons.
The SQL community is now starting to investigate XML related issues to
standardize.

I do not think that it is the W3C's role to issue recommendation on
relational database specific technology, but then again, I may be wrong on
this....

Best regards
Michael
--
Program Manager, SQL Server XML Technologies
mrys@microsoft.com, rys@acm.org