   RE: transformations

  • From: "Christopher R. Maden" <crism@lexica.net>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 15:48:12 -0800

At 14:46 19-11-2000 -0800, Joshua Allen wrote:
>This is a bit of an exaggeration.  XSL and XSLT were different activities,
>and XSLT *was* primarily directed at transformation.

Er?  XSL was originally a monolithic draft, including facility for
transforming a semantic document into presentational directives.  When XSLT
was split into its own specification, the intent of the XSL Working Group
was made *very* clear that while it had other applications, the driving
purpose of XSLT was to support transformations for styling, specifically
that features that interfered with incremental rendering or
side-effect-free-ness were not desirable.  (We ended up with some anyway,
but that's another story.)

-Chris
  not speaking for the XSL WG
--
Christopher R. Maden, Senior XML Analyst, Lexica LLC
222 Kearny St., Ste. 202, San Francisco, CA 94108-4510