   Re: transformations

  • From: Jonathan Borden <jborden@mediaone.net>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 18:56:48 -0500

Thomas B. Passin wrote:
> Jonathan Borden wrote -
>

> > Perhaps now that XML Schemas are coming on the scene, it
> is time to consider
> > distinguishing between parsing and validation in terms of
> transformations
> > (which you suggested a couple of weeks ago :-). For
> example suppose a DTD
> > had an <?xml-stylesheet> PI ala an Architectural Form PI,
> might not this
> > direct the parser to perform a pre-validation transform?
> >
>  Seems to me that Schematron can be thought of as
> "validation in terms of transformations."  After all, you do
> it with xslt.

Actually I was thinking about using XSLT as a way to generalize
Architectural Forms so that in defining a Base and Inheritable Architecure,
not only can elements and attributes be 1-1 mapped, but arbitrarily
transformed *prior* to validation. So more appropriately: inheritance in
terms of transformation.

Jonathan Borden
The Open Healthcare Group
http://www.openhealth.org