   Doing it the other way around (Re: transformations)

  • From: Sean McGrath <sean@digitome.com>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 13:14:17 +0000

>Simon St.Laurent wrote:
> > I'm pondering the state of transformations in XML while preparing a
> > presentation about 'transformations as a way of life', and I'm coming to
> > the conclusion that we've oversold a few tools to the detriment of other
> > possibilities.

Right. People need to do XML transformation. The look to the W3C
for guidance. They see XSL/XSLT. Six months later some of these
people hit a wall - either in terms of functionality, interfacing to the
outside world, or throughput. This is the way of declarative syntaxes.
It is why enbedded SQL is more useful than standalone SQL.
It is why ODBC is the way it is. Perhaps there is a lesson
here....