   DTD Problems: newlines, indent and PSGML

  • From: Stefan Kamphausen <kamphausen@novelscience.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 11:09:25 +0100

Dear XML family,

I'm pretty much frustrated because finding good documentation on XML
isn't that easy. I hope I don't bother you with boring newbie
questions. If there is another place to ask this kind of questions,
please point me there.

The Problem:
============

1.

I'm writing a DTD for the webpages of my company using PSGML in XEmacs
(not to mention the problems I encountered to get them running as I
want them to ;-). You can find the 3 relevant files at
http://www.skamphausen.de/misc

In my DTD I define an entity "Inline" that should be used wherever the 'usual
text' appears:

<!ENTITY % text        "(tabelle | liste | bild | nsi |
                        link | publikation)"                         >
<!ENTITY % Inline      "(#PCDATA | %text; )"                         >

Later this is used:
<!ELEMENT  ainhalt      (%Inline;)*                          >

But I can't use a multiline content within <ainhalt> .. </ainhalt>
because PSGML doesn't indent this. Where's the error? I don't think
it's with PSGML because with good DTD written by professionals it
works just fine.

2.

When I want to have an optional first element I get the problem that
PSGML only allows it exactly after the start tag of the surrounding
element. there may be no newline or even a space between them. How do
do this??

My PSGML Version is 1.2.1 and XEmacs "Bryce Canyon" 21.1.8
Hope you can help

regards and thanks
Stefan Kamphausen
--
$dom = "skamphausen.de";   ##   May The Open Source Be With You!
$Mail = "mail@$dom;  $Url = "http://www.$dom";