   Technical question concerning DOM & whitespace

  • From: Michael.Rohde@in-gruppe.de
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 11:23:30 +0100

[If anyone should find this is not a question to post in this list (I'm not
shure), please tell me a more suitable list.]

Using IBM XML4J version 3.01, I get a lot of extra textnodes containing nothing
but whitespace when parsing an indented XML document without validation with an
org.apache.xerces.parsers.DOMParser. I tried
parser.setIncludeIgnorableWhitespace(false); // and
parser.setFeature("http://apache.org/xml/features/dom/include-ignorable-whitespace",

false);
without preventing those whitespace nodes.

Is there a more elegant solution than afterwards traversing the tree and delete
them?

Thank you very much.