   RE: ubiquitous XML?

  • From: Chris Lovett <clovett@microsoft.com>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 02:29:28 -0800

The funny thing is that all the problems you list are all the classic
problems we run into on large software projects where we break down the
problem into components or "modules".  With the added extensibility of
componentization comes the cost of complexity and poor integration across
project boundaries.  I think the feds should split up this w3c juggernaut
before it completely stifles the future of XML :-)  Sorry couldn't resist.

I don't see how you could possibly think the standardization efforts are
stifling opportunity.  The presence of these standards is opening up
unbelievable opportunities that we would barely dared to dream about just a
few years ago.

How do you overcome poor integration and overwhelming complexity?  You get
the man at the top to pound out the "simplicity, simplicity, simplicity"
drum beat.  You appoint architects that have a track record of achieving
simple powerful designs to influence the design across the board.  Maybe
each working group should also be required to submit their stuff to a "user
study" that measures the complexity, approachability of their work and
rejects it if it fails the test.

Some things may just need to get a trim around the edges, for example, soon
it may be time to trim DTD's out all together.  Some things that prove to be
way off track may need to get axed or completely redesigned.  A deprecation
strategy is essential otherwise the burden of carrying all the dead wood
will bury us.  Dead wood really does stifle innovation.

Chris.