   RE: XML Schemas: Best Practices

  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • To: "Roger L. Costello" <costello@mitre.org>, xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 09:31:26 -0600

Staring down the slippery slope....

From: Roger L. Costello [mailto:costello@mitre.org]

>[1] Do you agree that, by themselves, schemas define just syntax and not
>semantics?

>>Yes.  OTOH, an abstract node can't be instanced.  This communicates a
semantic.  There is the semantic of THE schema language and the semantic
to be sustained by use of A schema language.  But we do not know the
meaning of the abstract node semantic unless we:

1.  Read the record of authority.
2.  Observe the behavior of an application claiming to sustain
    the semantic described in the record of authority and attest
    to the correctness of that behavior.

>[2] A big question ... what is "semantics"?

It is a point of view.  It is organized by contract or
by behavior.   Something means what you say it means.
Universality of meaning is an illusion sustained behaviorally and
communicated by context organized by contracted representation.  It
is more precise to refer to a schema as an application vocabulary
over simply a vocabulary.  To sustain a semantic is to ensure the
predictability of a behavior.

>>[4] How do we "add semantics" to a schema document?

By contract (document, comment, etc) or by reference.
The means by which the semantic is defined is outside the scope of
the XML Schema language and should remain so.  The point
at which one begins to add the semantic definition (say,
executable instructions) to the schema language, is the
time to abandon XML schemas and use a well-practiced programming
language.