   Re: advice to beginner

  • From: Wayne Steele <xmlmaster@hotmail.com>
  • To: ersin.e@home.com, xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 11:31:56 -0800

e.e:

You will need to become familiar with the actual XML Specs. Some are
manditory for any XML competance, others are useless, many are in between.
I'll let you decide which is which. You can hunt them down from
   http://w3.org

Be sure to read these web sites on a regular basis:

   http://www.oasis-open.org/cover/sgmlnew.html
   http://www.xmlhack.com
   http://www.xml.com

www.xml.com also has a really good "Annotated XML Spec" you should read.

If you're going to be using XML in an MSWindows / IE5 environment, you
should download the most recent version of MSXML, and the acompanying
documentation (I don't have the URL, but try http://msdn.microsoft.com/xml
).

MSXML does have some proprietary stuff, but the most recent version supports
the standards pretty well, and the documentation is good (but you can only
read it in Windows ).

I know you asked for books. Read this stuff too, though.

-Wayne Steele