   Re: MSXML3 (was: XML Editor recommendation?)

  • From: "Thomas B. Passin" <tpassin@home.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 09:22:09 -0500

Pollington, Lee (ELSLON asks -

>... From what I've read MSXML is XSLT standard compliant now, is the
DOM
> implementation in MSXML W3C standard as well?

Yes.  Of course, it also has some MS extensions, but you don't have to
use them.  Bear in mind, I'm talking about everyday usable compliance,
not from a conformance-test point of view.  In other words, it's close,
and it could even be 100% compliant, I wouldn't know about that.

Naturally, the syntax to create, say, a document object is different
from java, but once you've got the object, the properties and methods
are there.  Of course, you talk to it with vbscript or javascript, or
anything that speaks COM.

They also have a wrapper for the parser that gives you a command-line
xslt processor.  I found out that it's very strict about encoding,
though - if you don't specify the output encoding, you get UTF-16 no
matter what the input encoding was.  XT and SAXON don't do that.

Cheers,

Tom Passin