   RE: SMIL presentation from XML DevCon 2000 (introduction to SQL)

  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • To: Ken North <ken_north@compuserve.com>, xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 08:58:33 -0600

Very nicely done.  I have just spent two weeks learning SMIL and
building a SMIL presentation using an mp3 audio source with
slides and scrolling text.  The language is easy to master
and RealPlayer does a credible job syncing it given that one
sets the bitrate fairly high and get JPEGTRAN for creating
suitably compressed images.

For anyone who has a sense of MIDIMeetsMapping, it is a slam
dunk.   It would be interesting to hear more about other experiences
people are having using SMIL for streaming across the web.  Kanabar's
presentation seems to take advantage of some sort of Intel feature,
so I'd like to hear more about the various options and tools for
creating the video streams.  Also, since I used RealPlayer, I also
used the Real text and pix file types.  Are these proprietary?  The
transitions provided in RealPix worked well.

Is there a list dedicated to SMIL?

Len
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.